A great way to style your three day old hair!! Yes, I said three days!
LOVE/HATE… so many of us feel one way or the other about this hair color trend. I am here to tell you just how wonderful it really is! I believe The Ombre has had bad reviews in moments when it has been executed poorly or done at home. Also, most people are thinking, “Who the *&#* wants roots!”
WHO IS THE OMBRE GREAT FOR?
- someone who is trying to grow out their hair color to expose their much lighter natural hair
- someone with over saturated ends…this means someone who has most likely used box color or pulled permanent color thru their ends one too many times
- wavy hair
- straight hair
- someone wanting natural looking dimension
THINK ABOUT IT—> When you were a child your hair was never one color. Your ends were always just a tad lighter than your roots. Why?
- the ends of your hair have seen more life.more sunlight. more chlorine.
A child’s hair is truly perfection in my eyes. They have deep rich color in the winter months and due to their dainty little ponytails or braids in the summer, they have beautiful natural highlights.
For the bold, daring, and the ones who don’t give a f@*#K!
Make a statement and still show up for work at the office.
Connect to your base with a few traditional foils to add sparkle.
Barley there. A sexy little secret.
Go as crazy or as subtle as you want. Dark.Light.Cool.Warm. Make it your own. The Ombre is a beautiful technique!
We all go to the salon with the hope of a miracle transformation. Some of us come out looking like a Victoria’s Secret model, while others not so much. Did you know hairstylist stress out more than you do about your visit? From the moment you walk through the door they begin to feel the pressure. YOU say…”I really want something different. BUT I don’t want to lose any length or change my color.” WE think..”O.K. so what your really saying is that you want a trim…” WE SAY… “How about some bangs?!” Great so now you have a trim with some bangs that your feeling just O.K. about. When you are not jumping for joy about your cut we go home and cry. Just kidding! But it really makes us think, “Man! How can I step up my game and really wow people?!”
Don’t get me wrong. Bangs can be a wonderful thing! They can change your look and even act as less expensive Botox. What you & your stylist really need however is great communication.
Today at Matthew Robert Color + Design in Des Peres, MO I took an amazing cutting class held by Azeza Tessereau. She is our Artistic Director of Design and damn good at what she does. The class was meant to Inspire and Refresh us all. As Stylists we can get burned out and a little hazy on what trends actually are. Which is why it is SO extremely important to see a stylist who cares and participates in continuing education!
WHAT WE LEARNED
- Our guests are being inspired by TV shows, pinterest, YouTube, tabloids, and Instagram. So we must also be inspired by these sources.
- Choose a cut not only based on face shape but also on influences such as weather, budget, maintenance, time, and culture.
- To balance a… Round face= deep side part / Heart face= Chin length cut / Square= Off center rounded bangs / Pear= Width & height in the crown / Oblong= Shorter cut
- Women with fine hair should consider a one length hair cut to retain as much thickness as possible.
- We have two jobs… 1. Step out of our mindset 2. Encourage others to step out of theirs
- A solid perimeter makes the hair look healthy and strong
HOW YOU CAN GET A BETTER HAIRCUT NEXT TIME
- Arrive on time!
- Have inspiration photos. Do you like the way it’s styled or the actual cut? *Many time people bring in 3 of the same haircut without realizing it’s just styled differently.
- Be HONEST! Did you hate what they did last time?
- Communicate your struggles. Do you have a hard time blow drying? Maybe you want more in-depth information on products best suited for your hair type.
- Have some guidelines. Do you really want us to do whatever we want?
Follow me on pinterest to find your inspiration photos for your next visit http://pinterest.com/kristenlinares/hair/
This spring you can expect to see many golden hues everywhere. Hair color will have the look of gold jewelry. Rose gold will especially be popular. In spirit of Spring 2012 I took Nina from dark/cool brown with red highlights to an all over lighter rose gold. This is just the beginning of her Spring 2012 hair color makeover. To protect the integrity of her hair we will be reaching her ideal color in the next two appointments.
As you can see in her after photo there are still remnants of the red, which actually worked in our favor. The small amount of red blended well with the lighter pieces creating a “rosy gold”.
When making an extreme change like this be sure to…
-Make an appointment with a professional colorist
– Clarify the hair before coloring
– Purchase a shampoo and conditioner filled with proteins like Davines Melu
– Apply a deep conditioner 1-2x a week
– Make an appointment for a haircut. *Be prepared to lose some length. The ends of your hair will have gone through some trauma.
– Prebook your next appointment for about 8 weeks.
In case you were wondering this is the inspiration photo we were working from….
In 8 weeks I will be coloring Nina’s hair using Product Club Color Acessories technique called, “Skylighting”. The technique was developed by Laurie Edwards. The Art of Highlighting Volume 2 “Go Fresco!” with Laurie Edwards. Skylighting is perfect for shifting your single process color clients into more adventurous color. It allows you to keep the base color darker but brighten it up a bit. Skylighting results in a rooty base with some diffused highlights and variations of depth that gradually transition to bright, fresh ends. Fresh ends is the key term here. Nina’s hair has been colored many times therefore her ends are extremely saturated. Skylighting will allow us to reverse this issue and give her color that most people yearn for!
Want to learn more about Skylighting? Check out Laurie’s educational DVD! —> http://productclub.com/education/dvds Be sure to “like” Product club on facebook for hair color tips and giveaways. http://www.facebook.com/#!/ProductClub
Redken has some great information on what distressed hair actually is and what to do about it. I swear by chemistry shots. They make your hair feel incredibly strong and add shine! This month at Matthew Robert Color + Design you can win a complimentary Redken chemistry shot when you post your New Years Resolution to our facebook page!
TRANSFORM YOUR HAIR: EXPERIENCE A REDKEN CHEMISTRY HAIR TREATMENT
An exclusive, professional in-salon service, Redken Chemistry offers intense, customized treatments for whatever your hair needs – whether it’s moisture, color protection, strength, softness, control, or a combination of these benefits! Each treatment also has a corresponding take-home regimen so you can maintain the incredible results after you leave the salon.
Who is Redken Chemistry for?
A deep conditioning treatment such as Redken Chemistry is great for distressed hair. Distressed hair is weakend hair that has been physically changed in some way. There are two key types of hair distress:
- CHEMICAL DISTRESS: caused by overuse of chemical services such as haircolor, lightening, perming or straightening
- MECHANICAL DISTRESS: caused by normal wear and tear from blow-drying, curling and flat irons, and every day brushing
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Redken Chemistry offers six “shots” that can be blended for truly personalized solutions: